My name is Brent. I am by no means an artist. In fact, aside from a slight propensity for drawing when I was a kid, I have no real experience. As I'm sure many of you have, I often found myself jealous and envious of people who had the ability to put vision to paper in a way that moves or impresses others. For the longest time I was content to accept that I wasn't born with the right gift to do the same. It wasn't until recently that I had the realization that perhaps that belief was unfounded; I recalled one of my old artist friends who was a huge proponent of the, "If you really wished you could, you'd practice"-mindset. As glaringly obvious as that line of thinking is now, it didn't hit me for a few more years until very recently, when I had a moment of epiphany and decided enough was enough. I wasn't going to wallow any longer in self-pity about not 'being born with a gift for drawing'. It was time to own up and accept that I'd just never tried. I'd never put forth the real, ultimately years long practice necessary to actually be proficient.
So that's the impetus for this blog. I'm not under any delusion that I have some special message to spread via art, nor do I think that by the end of this journey I'll be on the same level as those who have dedicated real time and effort to the same endeavor (and in many cases significant amounts of money). And to those people, and my artistically inclined friends specifically, I extend an enormous thank you for being sources of inspiration. I desire deeply to do nothing more than respect the effort that goes into what many have done to accomplish their artistic visions, and while this blog may not be entirely relatable on a superficial level, I hope the journey itself is something that every artist can identify with at some point.
In the spirit of growth and betterment I welcome every last shred of advice anyone can give me on my journey. Ultimately, it will be up to me to do the physical act of creating the art itself - but there's invaluable knowledge in the assistance you can gain along the way. I'm open to critiques, criticisms, and suggestions of all kind. It is my hope that I can synthesize as much information as I can into a coherent method of creating art.
This introductory post is purposefully devoid of any drawings. For the next post, I'll be putting up what I've already been working on in the last couple of weeks since I began working on my artistic skills. Spoiler alert: they're not pretty. They are mine, though, and so I take pride in the tiny, tiny stepping stones they are.
Thank you for reading, and I hope you continue to follow me on this journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment